Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Power of Hope

During the Christmas season I always try to read writings by various authors to rekindle the wonder of the incarnation.  As I was reading a rather simple writing the author referenced Matthew 12:21, a passage I don't remember ever using as a sermon text are even spending much time in meditation.  Matthew is actually quoting from Isaiah 42 following Jesus' healing of the man with the withered hand on the Sabbath.    After the healing the Pharisees begin their plot to kill Jesus and Jesus goes away into semi-hiding.  Matthew says all this was done to fulfill Isaiah's words and then quotes from Isaiah 42.  The last verse of the prophecy is verse 21.  Here is what is says from the NIV translation, "In his name the nations will put their hope."

I was suddenly grabbed by the word "hope."  Jesus came to bring "hope!"  In a messed up world of political chaos, economic hardship, rampant sickness, and broken relationships Jesus came to bring hope.

The writer of Hebrews tells us "faith is the substance of things hoped for" (Heb 11:1).  That means we can't have faith unless we first have hope.  We can't believe for the impossible until we have the hope of the impossible.  So my faith must have the fuel of hope to get started!

We are even told "without faith it is impossible to please God" (Heb 11:6).  Therefore, I can't please God until I have hope because faith starts with hope.

So the big question is, "What am I hoping for?"  As I face this season of Christmas--and a new year ahead, what am I hoping to see accomplished in my life, family, ministry, community, and world?  Am I dreaming big enough to release faith for the impossible?

Jesus came born of a virgin and laid in a manger so He could be nailed to a cross and buried in a tomb.  But He didn't stay in the tomb--He arose as God's plan of resurrection for all of us.  Because of His birth, life, death, and resurrection we all have hope.  None of us are past the point of hopelessness.

Let's ask God to release hope fresh in our lives this season and all year long.  Let's dare to hope for the impossible!

No comments:

Post a Comment