Monday, January 7, 2013

Come Apart before You "Come Apart"



I grew up in an environment where it was easy to feel guilty if you took a vacation.  It seemed that working hard, being busy, and always having a long "to do" list was the sign of importance or success.  But Jesus, the Son of God, understood the value of taking time away from the daily "to do" list--even when people were in great need and wanting help.

Check out this passage in Mark 6:

            Mark 6:30-33 NLT
30 The apostles returned to Jesus from their ministry tour and told him all they had done and taught. 31 Then Jesus said, "Let's go off by ourselves to a quiet place and rest awhile." He said this because there were so many people coming and going that Jesus and his apostles didn't even have time to eat.
32 So they left by boat for a quiet place, where they could be alone. 

I just returned from a seven-day break.  During this time I read two-and-a-half books, got at least eight hours of sleep a day, and experienced a brand new adventure of life (I swam with dolphins).  In reflecting on my time away I discovered three key advantages to this time away:

·         INCREASED ENERGY:  I did not realize how low my energy level had become before I left.  The weeks before leaving had been very full of unique challenges in addition to preparation for knowing I was going to be away.  Changing my pace of life for seven days renewed my energy.
·         RENEWED CREATIVITY:  I believe it was a combination of rest, change of pace, and reading that sparked new creativity in my thinking.  I read one-and-a-half novels from my favorite creative writer and one book on personal growth.  The time spent in reading was a renewing and cleansing for my mind sparked all kinds of new thoughts.
·         FRESH PERSPECTIVE:  We all have heard the expression, “You can’t see the forest for the trees.”  When we are in the middle of the activities of life we often struggle to back up and reflect on what is going on, what is working well, what is not working well, and what changes need to be made.  Stepping away from the daily routine gives us a new perspective and allows clarity.

My goals for this new year:

1.    Every week finish with at least one hour of reflection to ask myself three questions:
a.    What was a big win this week?
b.    What was a waste this week?
c.    What do I need to change for next week?
2.    Every month read at least one book to inspire personal growth and one book to increase creativity.
3.    Every quarter take an extended time off from the normal routine to recharge my physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual batteries.
4.    Once a year take an extended spiritual retreat to immerse myself in God’s Word, prayer, journaling, and hearing from God.

I would love to hear your thoughts, suggestions, and comments.




No comments:

Post a Comment